Excite

Kell Brook lines up IBF welterweight title fight

  • getty images

British boxer Kell Brook is “only after those elite fighters now” after stopping Mexican Alvaro Robles in the eighth round. Brook extended his unbeaten record to 32 – 0 when Robles’s corner threw the towel in during his bout at the Echo Arena in Liverpool.

The 27 year old fighter told Sky Sports: “I'm happy I got this out of the way and the next one is for the IBF strap.” There’s been no word from Brook’s camp on when the IBF welterweight title fight will take place but Brook’s intentions to earn a title from his next bout are very clear.

“It's getting hard to get up for these kind of kids now," said the Sheffield born fighter who dominating the bout again Roble who had only lost twice previously. Perhaps some of the fighter’s frustration at facing such opposition comes from the IBF’s decision to allow IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter the opportunity to face former world champion Paulie Malignaggi before he takes on the Brook, who the International Boxing Federation (IBF) have confirmed is the number one contender. Porter and Malignaggi will fight on April 19 with the winner facing Brook this summer.

On the undercard for Brook’s fight, Tony Bellew won the vacant WBO title on his debut in the cruiserweight division. He beat Valery Brudov from Russia with a stoppage in the 12th round. Kevin Mitchell from London wasn’t troubled in his bout with 22 year old Mikheil Avakyan from Georgia, beating him in two rounds to set up a title fight with IBF lightweight champion Miguel Vazquez which will be on the undercard of the rematch between Carl Froch and George Groves at Wembley on May 31.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2017